President's Choice Financial
President's Choice Financial (PCF) was a banking, credit card and insurance service provided by Loblaw Companies Limited. Several different organizations provided individual financial services under the President's Choice Financial umbrella:
- Personal banking products were provided by the direct banking division of CIBC.
- MasterCard services were provided by President's Choice Bank, a wholly owned subsidiary of Loblaw Companies.
- Insurance was provided by two Loblaw subsidiaries (PC Financial Insurance Brokers Inc. and PC Financial Insurance Agency Inc).
Products offered varied by Canadian province.
In 2017, the banking portion became Simplii Financial, a division of CIBC, who offers a range of products including chequing accounts, savings accounts, mortgages, GICs, and mutual funds. Meanwhile the credits cards are still offered by PC Financial.
Deposit insurance on banking products
For the purposes of Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC) coverage, PCF bank accounts were combined with any CIBC accounts for the purposes of CDIC coverage limits. This was because of the operating structure of PCF, with banking services being provided by CIBC. The same is now true of Simplii accounts.
- CIBC launches new direct banking brand through Simplii Financial, press release, August 16, 2017, viewed December 20, 2017
- CIBC, CDIC Deposit Insurance Information, viewed December 20, 2015.