Commonly used acronyms
- ACB: Adjusted cost base
- BNN: Business News Network
- CCPC: Canadian controlled private corporation. An incorporated small business which may qualify for lower tax rates.
- CDIC: Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation
- CFP: Certified Financial Planner
- CIPF: Canadian Investor Protection Fund
- CLU: Chartered Life Underwriter
- CRA: Canada Revenue Agency
- CPI: Consumer Price Index.
- CPP: Canada Pension Plan
- DB Pension: Defined Benefit pension; one in which the future payouts are known in advance
- DC Pension: Defined Contribution pension; one in which future payouts depend upon pension fund returns
- DCA: Dollar cost averaging
- DVA: Dollar value averaging
- DIY: Do-it-yourself (investor).
- EAFE: Europe - Australasia - Far East Index.
- EMT: Efficient market theory (also referred to as EMH, or Efficient Market Hypothesis)
- ETF: Exchange Traded Fund. A security that trades on a stock exchange and that, in sufficient quantity, is exchangeable with a defined basket of securities.
- FWF: Financial Webring Forum
- FX: Foreign Exchange
- GIC: Guaranteed Investment Certificate. A certificate of deposit that is government-insured, usually by the CDIC (see above).
- IPO: Initial Public Offering. When a formerly-private company becomes public, the stocks are offered to investors in an IPO.
- IPS: Investment Policy Statement
- LIRA: Locked-In Retirement Account. Generally similar to an RRSP but using pension funds from a former employer. No further contributions or early withdrawals are allowed by law. Also called an LRSP.
- LRSP: Locked-In Retirement Savings Plan. See LIRA.
- MER: Management Expense Ratio
- MMF: Money Market Fund.
- NYSE: New York Stock Exchange
- OAS: Old Age Security
- OSC: Ontario Securities Commission
- OSFI: Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions
- QIF: Quicken Interchange Format
- REIT: Real Estate Investment Trust. A security that provides unitholders with rental income from real estate properties.
- RESP: Registered Education Savings Plan.
- RFP: Registered Financial Planner.
- RRB: Real Return Bonds. An inflation-indexed bond issued by the Government of Canada and/or certain provincial governments.
- RRIF: Registered Retirement Income Fund.
- RRSP: Registered Retirement Savings Plan.
- SEDAR: System for Electronic Document Analysis and Retrieval Securities related information for Canadian companies
- TFSA: Tax-Free Savings Account.
- TIPS: Inflation-indexed bonds offered by the U.S. government.
- TFL: The Fund Library
- TSX: Toronto Stock Exchange
- Campbell R. Harvey's Hypertextual Finance Glossary "the largest financial glossary on the Internet" • "over 8,000 entries and 18,000 hyperlinks"
- InvestorWords "the biggest, best investing glossary on the web" • "over 6,000 definitions and 20,000 links"